Today we will study what Solomon taught his son. He taught him about women who tempt men and how to handle situations like this. As a result, A Month of Wisdom from Proverbs-Chapter 5 will explain how to deal with this temptation and the consequences that follow.
Instructions on Handling Her
- My son, LISTEN, let your ears hear me!!!. Pay attention!(He tells other sons this too)
- Don’t go anywhere near her. Don’t even go near her door. Stay very clear of her path!
- Her lips drip honey, her speech is smooth. She sounds REALLY fine, sweet, sexy, etc. She is very much a flirt! Her speech is tempting! In the end, she is bitter and sharp as a double-edged sword. In other words, she is very dangerous, a very nasty woman.
- She doesn’t even think about what she is doing. This is how dangerous she is. Later in Proverbs 7, there is a description more about her and what she does.
- You will lose your honor if you go near her, and your dignity to one who is cruel. Others will benefit from this too!
- You will have great regrets at the end of your life. You will groan and hate the fact that you did not listen to those who instructed you of these things
- It WILL destroy your life!
Verses 15-20 Drink from your own well! Take what is yours, not from someone else’s. You will be satisfied and have nothing to regret later when you enjoy what God has given you specifically. Why be “drunk” with someone else’s wife, with a woman who is wayward(wicked, sinful).
Verses 21-23 What you do is in full view of the Lord! He sees it all, He knows it all! He will deal with you and the sin you committed.
For your ways are in full view of the Lord,Proverbs 5:21-23, NIV Version
and he examines all your paths.
22 The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them;
the cords of their sins hold them fast.
23 For lack of discipline they will die,
led astray by their own great folly
A passage in James describes what happens with temptation also.
3 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.James 1:13-15
Results of Temptation and Sin
This lust is just like what Proverbs Chapter 5 describes. The woman entices the man, they are both “dragged away.” The woman was probably tempting the man in ways that made it difficult for the man. Because he did not stay clear of her path, they both engaged in a sinful, sexual relationship. This will never end well! Both the Proverbs passage of verses 21-23 and James 1:13-15 speak of death. This won’t be immediate physical death, but death in their conscience, convictions and any spiritual life they have.
Our Culture Now
Many people in today’s culture, men and women, give no thought to staying away from sexual temptation. It doesn’t matter how old they are, married or unmarried. They go right towards sin. No clear path is kept and they don’t stay as far away as possible. It is obvious what they want and they go right for the door. Now, there is pornography, even accessible on cell phones. People talk on their phones and even send indecent pictures to each other. It is no wonder that there is so much available and one does not have to go far. Staying FAR from it is the only way that temptation and sin will not take over and win. We all have to listen to wisdom from godly people and God’s Word, like Solomon tells his son. Then we have to choose to do what we are taught.
Very relevant message during the pandemic,there is truly a danger of having a few minutes enjoyment and then succumb to the virus and die.Beware everyone,the devil is lurking in the distance waiting to devour you.Thank you dear for sharing it.God bless.🌹🙏😊
Such a hard subject to address and yet so very much needed. Again, you did a great job!