So far, four angels have blown their trumpets. We have three more to look at. Let’s see what we can learn from what happens when two more angels blow their trumpets.
Characteristics of When The Fifth Angel Blows Their Trumpet
- A star falls from the sky to the earth
- The star is given the key to the shaft of the Abyss
- This Abyss is opened
- Smoke rises from the Abyss like smoke from a huge furnace
- The Abyss darkens the sun and sky by smoke
- Out of the smoke, locusts come down on the earth
- The locusts have power like scorpions
- These locusts cannot harm the grass on earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal on their foreheads
- So none of the 144,000 from the tribes of Israel
- They cannot kill anyone, but can only torture them for 5 months.
- The agony they suffer will be like the sting of a scorpion that strikes
- The people will want to die, they will seek death, but don‘t find a way out of this pain and agony.. They will literally long for it. Death will not be possible.
Describing The Locusts
- They look like horses prepared for battle
- What they look like – Their:
- Faces looked like human faces
- Hair was like women’s hair
- Teeth were like lion’s teeth
- What they wear:
- Something similar to crowns of gold on their head
- A breastplate of iron
- What they have:
- Wings that sound like many horses and chariots rushing into battle
- Tails with stingers like scorpions, with power to torment people for 5 months
- The king over them is the angel of the Abyss whose Hebrew name is Abaddon and whose name in Greek is Apollyon which means Destroyer.
Three Woes Are Introduced
The first of the three woes is now past. This is the woe of the locusts that came from the smoke out of the Abyss. There are two more to go! We still have to learn more about the angels blowing their trumpets though so, in time, you will learn about the other woes.
The Sixth Angel Blows Another Trumpet
I heard a voice coming from the four horns of the golden altar that is in front of God. This voice said to the sixth angel, “release the four angels who are bound at the Euphrates river”. These four angels have been kept specifically for that very hour, day, month and year. They waited for that exact moment to be released for a specific purpose.
To kill a third of mankind!
The angles lead an army of mounted warriors who are tasked to kill a third of the earth. The troop count that John hears is 2 x 10,000 x 10,000. That is 200,000,000 soldiers who are all mounted on some pretty incredible creatures. That is A LOT of soldiers who do a LOT of damage! When you consider that the current population of the earth is 7.75 Billion people, that’s around 2,557,500,000 (or 2.56 Billion) people who are killed by this army of 200M soldiers. Of course this doesn’t account for those already dead, but is intended to give a sense of scale for what is happening here.
Description Of The Horses And Riders
- Their breastplates are fiery red, dark blue and yellow as sulfur
- The heads of the horses are like heads of lions
- Out of their mouths come fire, smoke and sulfur
What Happens When The Horses Are Released
- One third of mankind is killed by the three plagues of the fire, smoke and sulfur that will come from their mouths.
- Their power in their mouths and tails because their tales are like snakes which have heads which cause injury.
What About Those NOT Killed By The Angels And Their Army
The rest of the people who are not killed by these plagues, still do not repent.
- They did not stop worshiping:
- Idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood. Idols that they can’t see, hear or walk.
- They also did not repent of:
- Magic arts
- Sexual immorality
What Can We Learn?
These four angels and their army sure killed a lot of people! So many scary and painful events happen in the end. These are events that the people can’t even escape by death, even when they want to die. I can’t imagine this kind of pain and suffering. We think we have pain and fear now! Our pain is nothing compared to what will happen in the end times.
I look at this pain though and I see that some were still not killed by all of these dangerous plagues and events. Verses 20 and 21 of Chapter nine says though, that these people still refuse to repent! But what is repentance?
Repentance, according to the Oxford dictionary is “the action of repenting; sincere regret or remorse.” Well, that doesn’t help us much.
So let’s look at how the Bible treats repentance. Repentance is translated from the greek word metanoia/μετάνοια. Consistently, in the New Testament, the word does not mean “feeling bad about…” or “feeling regret or remorse”. It literally indicates a change of heart, mind or direction. it can literally be pictured as a person walking in one direction and then turning around and heading in the other direction. That person has “repented”. More frequently in the New Testament, we see it associated with a change of heart or mind which drives a change in behavior.
In this event, the people did not repent. They did not turn around and go back the other way and do what is right.
People Worship All Types Of Idols
They took part in demon worship and idol worship made of all types of items like gold, silver, wood, bronze and stone. Let’s take it to the next level. Today, many people don’t just worship physical idols made of certain materials. Many of us worship idols such as money, people, politics, music, actors, actresses, and sports just to name a few examples. Scripture tells us that the idols worshiped could not see, hear or walk. Other people may have different idols in their life; but they are idols none the less. They come between us and God and keep us from worshiping the one who truly deserves our worship. God calls us (and them) to repent from that. Turn around and go the other direction.
Various Ways We Sin
Also, they did not repent of murdering, magic arts (many people today use different forms of magic arts), stealing and sexual immorality. These are all very common now and people refuse to repent. Many of these sins are performed in different ways such as adultery, fornication, homosexuality, and pornography, for example. For theft, cheating on taxes, bills, lying about income are all different ways that people can steal.
Examine Your Life
There are many behaviors today where we don’t turn from our “wicked ways”! We don’t repent! We need to take a look at our lives and see where we have sin, then turn away from that sin. Take a “Next Step” and follow Christ instead! Obey Him! He loved us and gave His own life for us and forgives us, wanting a real relationship with you and with me. He says He wants us to put our faith in Him and repent from our faith in ourselves or anything (or anyone) else.
Not Just Our “Fire Insurance”
Before these very difficult plagues and events come, please consider where you stand before God. A real relationship with God isn’t “fire insurance”, just to keep us from these terrible end times, but to help us live day to day here on earth today as well. He will guide and direct us, comfort us, give us peace and He offers us Salvation through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and gives us eternal life when we accept Him.
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”2 Chronicles 7:14